There’s a reason why New Balance is such a popular household name right now. And no, it has nothing to do with how long they’ve been in the footwear business. It’s because they design some of the best walking shoes in the world.
For over 100 years, New Balance has done what many shoe brands still struggle to do today. They’ve invested in technologies and innovative designs to make sure that every version of their walking shoes is comfortable and supportive enough to give you the value for your money.
The best New Balance walking shoes aren’t just suitable for casual strolls. You can even use them for long-distance walks, especially in the days when you expect to be too busy to stop. Here are some of the brand’s top-rated models that deserve your attention.
Table of Contents Best New Balance Walking Shoes Reviews1. New Balance Men’s MW8772. New Balance Men’s MW577 Walking Shoes3. New Balance Men’s MW4114. New Balance Men’s M1300 Walking Shoe5. New Balance Men’s MW813 Walking Shoes6. New Balance Women’s 847v3 Walking Shoes7. New Balance Women’s 574v2 Evergreen Sneaker8. New Balance Women 1165 Fresh Foam Walking Shoes9. New Balance Women’s WW813 Hook and Loop10. New Balance Women’s WW411 Hook and Loop Walking ShoesBuying Guide: Here’s How to Choose the Best New Balance Walking Shoes
Best New Balance Walking Shoes Reviews
1. New Balance Men’s MW877
- The roomy toe box makes the version ideal for men with wide feet
- Comfortable thanks to the padding and they’re suitable for walking for as long as 5 miles a day
- Durable rubber outsoles that offer excellent traction on different surfaces
- Model only available in gray color; we wish there were more options
- They don’t offer sufficient toe protection
- They provide only moderate arch support
Comfortable and stylish, with an overall weight that’s as low as 340 grams, the New Balance MW877 perfectly fits men who’re interested in long-distance walking shoes. Because this model has a big toe box, it can fit you very well if you have wide feet.
These athletic shoes feature a mesh upper and small ventilation holes on the vamp to increase airflow. That results in breathability, which allows you to walk all day without worrying about sweaty or smelly feet.
To take midsole cushioning to the next level, New Balance uses abzorb instead of EVA foam. This technology provides more comfort for extended walks by absorbing shock and displacing energy the right way. The result is a pair of sneakers that will keep your feet comfortable and protect from unexpected impact.
Thanks to the brand’s proprietary Walking Strike Path, these sneakers easily take the shape of your feet once you wear them. Then, they enhance your gait and boost your natural walking pattern.
2. New Balance Men’s MW577 Walking Shoes
- Durable shoes with a breathable leather upper
- Includes Walking Strike Path on the outsole to boost your natural walking pattern
- Features a polyurethane midsole, which has an excellent cushioning for maximum comfort
- The shoes’ abzorb technology absorbs shock and manages impact as you walk
- Offers excellent traction as you walk
- Not the most fashionable walking sneakers; only a few color choices available
- They may be heavy for some men
- May start to squeak after a few months of use
New Balance MW577 is a pair of durable walking shoes.
Robust on the outside and cushioned inside, this model is ideal for casual strolls and a lot of walking.
With a breathable leather upper that feels soft on the instep, these sneakers will keep your feet cool and dry from the moment you put them on.
The high-performance rubber outsole feels sturdy and durable. Even the tread profile looks and feels uniform enough to give you better traction on different surfaces.
Unfortunately, these sneakers are only available in black and white. We wish there were additional color options, more so for walkers who don’t like white shoes.
3. New Balance Men’s MW411
- Stylish and well-cushioned shoes that support lower body weight
- They seem to run true to size and fit well straight out of the box
- Perforated upper is super breathable to keep your feet cool and dry
- The pair doesn’t feature rollbar or walking strike path technology
- Very little arch support when walking; you can’t use them if you have flat feet
- Not the most durable; they’re likely to give in within 12 months
If you’re someone to whom comfort and performance come first, fashion may not appeal nearly as much.
But if you also care about looking cool without necessarily turning heads in the streets, stylish shoes may be a must-have.
That’s why we recommend the New Balance MW411v2 shoes because they feature a combination of both in the right balance.
The perforated upper is breathable enough to keep your feet dry as you walk. It also remains soft on your insteps, effortlessly blending with the pattern of your feet so that you can walk naturally.
The midsoles have the right level of cushioning, which is enough to support your weight even if you walk for an extended period.
Despite the pair’s sound design, not to mention running true to size, these sneakers only provide moderate arch support. As such, they may not be suitable for men with flat feet. So if you have collapsed arches, you should consider something like the New Balance 847v2.
4. New Balance Men’s M1300 Walking Shoe
- These are waterproof shoes that you can use in wet environments
- Include rollbar technology that eliminates rear-foot movement
- Slip-resistant to a high degree
- The toe box could be a bit wider
- Not exactly as breathable as expected; feet tend to sweat if you walk a lot
Maybe you’re looking for the best work shoes, and you’ve considered New Balance as your brand of choice? If that’s the case, then we’d like to recommend the M1300 model.
These sneakers don’t look or feel sporty, but they are just as soft and comfortable to use as New Balance tennis sneakers.
The design includes a waterproof membrane that prevents water from entering the shoes, so you can use these shoes to walk even in rainy weather.
The M1300 walking shoes feature rollbar technology to keep your feet in position as you walk. By preventing rear foot movement, the model goes as far as ensuring maximum shock absorption in case of an impact.
The rubber outsole promises a solid grip while providing better traction on different surfaces. Thanks to the uniform tread pattern, this model makes walking on slippery surfaces possible.
5. New Balance Men’s MW813 Walking Shoes
- High-quality leather shoes for official as well as a casual outfit
- Three color options; white, brown, black
- Includes rollbar technology, which helps to reduce rear-foot movement
- Good rubber outsole that provides sufficient traction on different surfaces
- The pair takes up to seven days to break-in
- Not as durable as other walking shoes in the brand’s collection
- Only offers low to moderate arch support
If you want to add some casual sneakers to your collection of dress shoes, go with New Balance MW813. And if you work in an environment where you have to walk and stand all day, your feet will love these sneakers.
These are about as getting a smooth ride as possible. With a supple leather upper that breathes with every step you take, you’re getting a pair of shoes that can keep your feet cool and dry all day long.
The sneakers’ stitching is up to the standard. The heel, collar, and tongue have excellent padding. And a few pair of eyelets means quick lace-up for an optimal fit.
6. New Balance Women’s 847v3 Walking Shoes
- Breathable enough to keep your feet cool and dry all day long
- A good pick for women who love lightweight sneakers
- Lighting dry liner keeps your feet dry while fighting bacteria
- Suitable for feet conditions like arthritis, Morton’s neuroma, arch pain, and shin splint
- This version may be too narrow for some women
- The toe box seems to be unnecessarily wide
New Balance improved the 843v3 walking shoes to deliver comfort and stability while maintaining their fashion and style.
This upgrade features the brand’s rollbar technology, which keeps feet in position, so they don’t rub against the fabric.
Moreover, its PU inserts and abzorb midsole absorb shock from impact with the ground, while providing the comfort you need for happy feet.
The upper part of the sneakers features a breathable synthetic or mesh fabric. Together with the air holes on the toe vamp and the lighting dry liner, these improvements ensure you get the airflow needed to keep your feet cool and dry as you walk.
The heels feel comfortable, and the collar has good padding. The tongue feels spongy, and the rubber outsole is durable enough to last for long.
What’s more, the outsole has a uniform tread pattern, which provides better traction and stability as you walk.
7. New Balance Women’s 574v2 Evergreen Sneaker
- Robust outsole provides better traction even on slippery floors
- Includes TPU heel inserts, which give your feet additional comfort when walking
- This version features ENCAP midsoles, which provide for extra cushioning
- Doesn’t fit as expected; you may want to try a size or half a size up
- These sneakers are heavy; they weigh about 623 grams a pair
Good walking shoes must be comfortable. And if they’re stylish, they can make you stand out from the crowd. New Balance takes this even further with its 574v2 Classic Evergreen Sneakers. They combine performance and style to give you the most fashionable sneakers at a price that’s simply a steal.
These shoes’ upper features the brand’s legendary suede and textile upper, which feels comfortable on your instep and is breathable to keep your feet dry.
Even with a traditional lace-up closure that isn’t as appealing as the new Velcro straps, these are still easy to put on and tie to a snug fit. Soft on the tongue and padded on the collar, these are excellent for walking without feeling feet strains.
New Balance wanted these shoes to last for as long as possible, which is why they paid attention to details on the sole unit. The standard insole feels soft and cushy enough for all-day comfort. The inserts are removable. And while you can replace them with orthotic insoles, they’re quite an exception as they provide a high level of arch support.
The rubber outsole looks and feels robust. Expect it to hold up even after 300 miles of walking. Moreover, the tread pattern doesn’t wear out nearly as fast. Expect the sole to provide better traction on different surfaces, including slippery floors, before giving in.
8. New Balance Women 1165 Fresh Foam Walking Shoes
- Although they aren’t waterproof, these sneakers provide excellent on wet pavements
- Stylish shoes you can wear if you have high arches
- Cheap yet very comfortable sneakers
- They’re lightweight; they only weigh 550 grams per pair
- Also good for women who have fallen arches
- You can’t use these if you overpronate
- They don’t provide the very best arch support that you’d want in a shoe
- The section near the toe area could use some more padding
Whether you have a history of plantar fasciitis or you need comfortable walking shoes with arch support, go with New Balance 1165 Fresh Foam.
At 510 grams per pair, these are among the lightest sneakers in the market, so they won’t slow you down even if the situation demands that you walk for long hours.
New Balance uses a synthetic mesh for the upper, which results in a breathable build to keep your feet at room temperature.
With a standard padding in the collar and excellent cushioning in the tongue, your insteps rest comfortably without touching the walls of the shoes.
The lugged rubber outsole not only provides better traction but also helps to enhance motion control so you can hit the ground running in style.
If these were water-resistant, you’d probably use them to on damp areas. That’s because they provide a solid grip even on wet pavements.
9. New Balance Women’s WW813 Hook and Loop
- These sneakers offer excellent arch support
- The Velcro straps make the shoes easy to put on and take off
- They’re lightweight and therefore suitable for walking all day
- Includes rollbar and walking strike path technologies for comfort and natural feet movements
- They’re not the most stylish walking shoes by New Balance
- Available only in black and white
- The heel cushioning may not be thick enough for some people
The New Balance WW813 Hook and Loop runs true to width and has a sizeable toe box. Because they provide excellent arch support, these sneakers may as well be the most comfortable walking shoes that women can buy.
The Hook and Loop model comes in either black and white, and it features a slip-resistant sole design that makes it easy for you to walk on slippery floors.
Instead of a lace-up design, this version uses a hook and loop closure that you can easily tighten or loosen to get a proper fit.
Thanks to the Velcro straps, which make these sneakers easy to wear and take off, you can benefit from WW813 if you have problems like swollen feet or arthritis.
We don’t consider these to be fashionable shoes. But we love them because their level of performance is up to the standard.
The pair includes the rollbar that controls rear-foot movement. By keeping your feet in position, the technology enables you to walk freely without rubbing your feet against the shoes’ fabric.
The rubber outsole of these sneakers is sturdy, flexible, and durable. They even feature a robust tread profile that offers you better traction on different floors.
Then there’s the Walking Strike Path technology, which ensures these shoes align with the pattern of your feet so you can enhance your gait as you take natural steps.
10. New Balance Women’s WW411 Hook and Loop Walking Shoes
- These are the most comfortable New Balance walking shoes for women
- They run true to width and fit as expected, so go ahead and get the standard size
- The Velcro closure allows you to get an adjustable fit in under a minute
- This version can help with foot problems like swollen feet and arthritis
- Lightweight shoes, excellent for women who suffer from overpronation
- Because they offer little arch support, these shoes aren’t suitable for underponation
- The heel feels somewhat wide and as such, they aren’t suitable for women with narrow feet
- Limited only to white color, look elsewhere if you don’t like white walking shoes
Available only in white, the New Balance WW411 may not be as fashionable as you’d want walking shoes to be. But they’re comfortable nonetheless. So if you care more about performance than you do about style, go with these.
They have enough cushioning even on the heels. And while they only offer moderate arch support, they’re still perfect for long distance walks.
To make them easy to put on and take off, New Balance adds a Velcro closure instead of a lace-up. Simply tighten or loosen the strap to your desired fit.
These shoes’ standard inserts aren’t as thick as anyone of us would have expected. But at least they’re removable. So if you have some orthopedic insoles, a replacement would make a big difference.
Buying Guide: Here’s How to Choose the Best New Balance Walking Shoes
New Balance has many competitors in the footwear market. From Brooks and Saucony to Ryka and Nike, the brand faces competition right, left, and center.
And yet more than 100 years later, they still stand out for designing some of the comfortable walking shoes we’ve ever taken for a test ride.
Here’s the most important point, though:
Not all New Balance walking shoes can hold up long-term. Some are good. Some are average. Some don’t last long. So before you choose walking sneakers from this brand’s collection, make sure you get the following points right.
The idea of buying New Balance walking shoes only to use them for multiple activities is simply impractical.
These aren’t running sneakers, and they aren’t cross trainers either. And while you can use them for sports if you really want to, they’ll neither last long nor perform well.
So if you intend to buy this brand’s shoes for walking, choose any option from what we’ve recommended.
But if you’re in the market for shoes that you can also use for working out, go for cross trainers instead. You can pick your pair from the same brand or any other company of your choice.
2. Feet Type
You can get the most comfortable and stylish walking shoes from this brand. But the pair won’t do you any good if it doesn’t match your feet’s type.
In other words, if you’re looking for the best walking shoes from New Balance, choose a pair that can blend in with the type of your feet.
Let’s say you have flat feet. In this case, it would be ideal to pick cushioned shoes for arch support. Moderate arch support should be fine if you have collapsed arches, but more would be better.
Let’s agree on one thing:
No one likes smelly and sweaty feet. And that’s why breathability is an important factor to consider when selecting your walking shoes.
Remember, you want to walk comfortably even for a long period. So going for sneakers that allows consistent airflow from the time you put them on to the moment you take them off is the way out.
New Balance takes care of breathability very well. In fact, every pair of sneakers in its walking shoes category, at least the ones we’ve included in this guide, has an upper made of breathable mesh fabric, which means they’re breathable straight out of the box.
However, the rate of breathability doesn’t seem to be equal for all shoes. With some model featuring air holes on the vamps, it’s clear that there are makes that allow more airflow than others do.
If you only care about comfort, fit, and style when looking for walking shoes, chances are you don’t always bother to examine the build and quality of the outsole.
But doing so is important for two reasons:
First, it helps you to determine how long a pair of shoes will last. Second, it gives you an idea of the kind of traction to expect on different surfaces.
To be clear, you need flexibility and support every time your feet hit the ground. So you should opt for sneakers that promise outstanding grip on different surfaces.
You want to go for New Balance shoes with rubber outsole because they deliver better traction. Moreover, they have uniform lugs that grip different surfaces just fine. So you can even use them to walk on slippery floors just fine.
5. Heel Support
If you’ve never thought of heel support when looking for the most comfortable walking shoes, now’s probably the right time to do that.
And here’s the thing:
New Balance has invested the time, technologies, and resources to make sure their walking shoes give you the most reasonable heel support possible. In fact, thanks to the rollbar technology, which prevents rear foot movement, your feet stays in position regardless of the number of steps you take.
Keep in mind that heel support is significant because it keeps your feet snugs so that you don’t have to worry about potential injuries.
6. Toe Room
This one is tricky.
Just how do you know how much toe box room is enough for your feet?
You do have to get your hands dirty here. You should try out a few pairs, and then choose one that perfectly fits.
And get this:
Bigger toe rooms aren’t better. And small ones aren’t bad either. You can even go for a size that simply fits if you like. But then again, your feet and toes need to wiggle a bit. This will enable you to take natural steps and never worry about pressure points whatsoever.
Just get the right room for your feet and you’ll be good to go.
Have you ever worn a pair of shoes but you still felt like you were stepping on the ground barefoot?
Or maybe they simply didn’t feel cushioned enough to give you the comfort that you deserve?
It happens to some of us sometimes.
However, the last thing you want is your feet to start feeling the outsole too soon. So pay very close attention to the cushioning of the insole the same way you examine the padding on the tongue, collar, heels, and vamp.
It’s fine if the insoles match the shape of your feet. But that’s not enough. Check to make sure they have a sufficient amount of cushioning.
If the cushioning feels soft, that would be great. More cushioning would be better, as they enable you to walk comfortably even in the days when you have to be on your feet all day.